Facebook
go here
cnews
At least three Full Member boards have written to the ICC expressing concern over their current players asking for no objection certificates to participate in the Masters Champions League (MCL), which was approved as a Twenty20 event meant strictly for retired players. 
 
The ICC has warned that "actions of those involved with the MCL in seeking current player participation" is "unacceptable".
 
It is understood that the three aggrieved members are the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Cricket South Africa (CSA), and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).
Kraigg Brathwaite's unbeaten 80 off 120 balls followed up a dominant spin bowling performance by Barbados to see off Windward Islands by seven wickets in the second Nagico Super50 semi-final on Thursday night at Queen's Park Oval to set up a rematch of the 2014 final between Barbados and reigning title-holders Trinidad & Tobago.
 
Eight of the ten wickets in the Windwards innings fell to spin as they struggled to 175 after choosing to bat first. 
 
Sulieman Benn claimed his third four-for of the tournament to lead the way in the field for Barbados but was well-supported by offspinner Ashley Nurse and fellow left-armer Jomel Warrican who took two wickets each.
 
Live coverage of the final is on Talk City 91.1FM beginning at 115pm on Saturday.
Veteran midfielder Marvin Oliver has vowed to take legal actions against Central FC after he claimed to have been sacked without reason recently.
 
The termination letter was handed to him by assistant coach Kevin Jeffreys on Tuesday before a training session at the practice pitch of the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.
 
The letter quoted club coach Dale Saunders as saying the firing was based on a request by the player, as he wanted to move on to another club.

Narine targets February ICC test

West Indies spinner Sunil Narine received a $35,000 boost from the Ministry of Sport on Wednesday to assist with remedial work on his bowling action. 
 
The off-spinner expects that by mid-February he will complete the ICC test on his action which could open the way for his return to international cricket.
 
Narine was banned from international cricket after he was called during a One-day International series in Sri Lanka last November.

Somerset resign Chris Gayle

Somerset have re-signed West Indies batsman Chris Gayle for six matches in this summer's T20 Blast competition.
 
Earlier this month, the 36-year-old was fined £4,900 after asking a TV reporter for a date in a live interview while playing for Melbourne Renegades in Australia's Big Bash League.
 
He later apologised but said the reaction was "out of proportion".
Trinidad and Tobago National Women's team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson says the opportunity to correct the mistakes that may have cost this country a place at the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup is upon the team for the upcoming CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers in the United States.
 
The T&T team is scheduled to depart on Sunday for Houston for a training camp ahead of their opening game against Guatemala at the BBVA Compass Stadium on February 11th.
 
Head coach Richard Hood stated that the captain along with the likes of the more experienced players such as Kennya Cordner, Ahkeela Mollon, Arin King and Tasha St Louis would have to shoulder the majority of the responsibilities in the tournament.

Surrey signs Bravo

Surrey have signed West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo as their second overseas player for the T20 Blast.
 
The 32-year-old, who has scored 4,492 runs and taken 285 wickets in 277 career Twenty20 appearances, will be available to play throughout June.
 
He joins Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara, who will play in all three forms of the game for the county.

The HERO Caribbean Premier League (CPL) is set to feature a galaxy of international talent – including Twenty20 heavyweights Francois “Faf” du Plessis, Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Kumar Sangakkara and Shane Watson – who have all been confirmed into the Player Draft which is set to take place in Barbados on Thursday, 11 February.

This will be the inaugural inclusion of marquee international players in the CPL Draft and they need little introduction having been ranked amongst the game’s leading T20 exponents in recent years.

A prolific run-getter, McCullum was the first international player to reach 1,000 runs in T20 history and the New Zealander is the only player to date to have scored two international T20 centuries having featured in 71 T20 Internationals.

Proteas batsman du Plessis is currently ranked fourth on the ICC T20 Batting rankings, gripping the global cricketing public with a series of electrifying displays across all formats for many years.

Experienced Australian all-rounder Watson, a two-time ICC Cricket World Cup (CWC) champion in 2007 and 2015, as well as his country’s T20 player of the year in 2012 and 2013, will also get his first taste of CPL action.

The CPL are also pleased to announce the identities of the other two marquee players who will both be returning for another stint at the biggest party in sport.

Black Caps’ batsman Martin Guptill (who incidentally holds the world record ODI score of 237 not out achieved against the West Indies in Wellington during the ICC CWC 2015) currently lies in fifth place in the World T20 batting rankings.

Sri Lanka’s ICC World T20 2014 winner Kumar Sangakkara is one of the most decorated and respected players at all levels in the history of the game. A former captain of his country, who scored 287 in what remains a world record Test partnership of 624 with Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar scored over 28,016 runs in 594 games across all three formats, and boasts an impressive T20 strike rate of over 120 in 56 internationals.

The identity of the final marquee player will be announced closer to the Draft.

All marquee players will enter the Player Draft and will each be assigned to one of the six franchises from Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia and Trinidad & Tobago.

The 2016 edition of the CPL is set to be played over a six-week period from the end of June until the first week of August, with this year’s fixtures to be announced in due course.

Each squad has increased from 15 to 17 players (though franchises also have an option to have a current West Indies Cricket Board player as part of their squad) which must include the following; one ‘marquee’ player, one representative from the ICC Americas, one West Indies Under-19, five overseas (with four permitted to feature in any matchday starting XI) and 10 West Indies qualified players.

Speaking ahead of the Player Draft on February 11, CPL CEO Damien O’Donohoe said: “We are hugely excited about the fourth season of CPL and we believe that this is our most exciting line up of talent to date.

“For players of the calibre and international standing of Faf du Plessis, Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Kumar Sangakkara and Shane Watson to commit to the CPL is a significant endorsement of the growing stature of the CPL internationally.

“We are excited about welcoming them, as well as a host of local and international talent, to the Caribbean once more. Plans are well underway for this year’s competition and I know that each of the players are enthusiastic about playing to the best of their abilities for the West Indies public and in representing their franchises with pride this summer.”

CPL Director of International Cricket Tom Moody added: “With the confirmation of these marquee players, the CPL is now truly established as one of the leading T20 leagues and compares favorably with the likes of the IPL and Big Bash League.

“We are entering into a fascinating year of T20 cricket, with a number of players in this year’s Draft set to feature for their countries in the forthcoming ICC World T20 in India, as well as in other leading domestic T20 competitions.

“With the West Indies currently sitting atop the World T20 team rankings, we believe that the top quality signings of iconic and hugely decorated marquee players demonstrate CPL’s intentions to captivate the attention of both the West Indies public and cricket followers globally.”

The full list of players to be enrolled in the Draft will be unveiled on Tuesday.

TOP CLASS club cricket will return this weekend when the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board’s 50-Overs competition in Premier Divisions One and Two, bowls off on Saturday with defending champions Queen’s Park and FCB Clarke Road featuring in the marquee fixture of the day.

The Parkites are expected to field a star-studded line-up when they travel to Wilson Road, Penal with the inclusion of star West Indies and Trinidad and Tobago batsman Darren Bravo, and his elder brother Dwayne, just back from the Australia Big Bash T20. All eyes will also be on world rated T20 spinner Sunil Narine who though banned by the ICC and West Indies Cricket Board for a suspect bowling action has been allowed by the TTCB to bowl as he is pursuing rehabilitative work to correct the fault.

The Tragarete Road, Port-of-Spain outfit will also be boosted by national all-rounder AkealHosein and new signee Nicholas Pooran, who is making a return to club cricket after a lay-off because of injury.

Others matches which will generate great interest on Saturday involvesPowerGen, who play Jenexcon Tableland and also boasts a formidable line-up with T&T Red Force captain Jason Mohammed at the helm.

Mohammed recently led the national team to victory in the Nagico Super50 regional tournament and will be teaming up with another world rated T20 spinner Samuel Badree, also back from the Big Bash T20, and explosive Red Force opening batsman Evin Lewis.

Victoria playnewly promoted T&T Prisons Service and Merryboyscome up against Comets at Pierre Road in Charlieville in the other Premier One matches.

This year the TTCB, in keeping with their effort to continuously improve theirnational competitions has implemented revised regulations and also a new Code of Conduct to be implemented for all matches.

At a meeting of all National League and championship clubs held on Wednesday at the National Cricket Centre in Balmain, Couvaall club representatives were given the opportunity the raise their concernsabout the regulations governing the 50-Overs competition as well as the Code of Conduct and disciplinary measures to be introduced this season.

Well-known and highly respected umpire Peter Nero and WICB Match Referee Michael Ragoonath went through the Regulations and the Code of Conduct Rules in detail and addressed all queries.

Chairman of the National League, Patrick Rampersad, impressed upon the clubs the need to embrace the changes. “This is in keeping with the mandate of the TTCB to improve the overall development of all players and officials who are involved incompetitions under the ambit of the TTCB and this will certainly redound to the improvement of our national cricket competitions,’’ he said.

Rampersad indicated that the board has invested heavily in training officials and for the first time all 16 fixtures being played in the Premier Division 1 and 2 will have TTCB-appointed Match Referees, operating in a similar manner to regional and international cricket.

Matches in the TTCB’s 50-Overs competition will continue on Sunday with Queen’s Park vs Prisons at the Oval; Victoria vs PowerGen at Victoria;Jenexcon Tableland vs Merryboys in Tableland; and FCB Clarke Road vs Alescon Comets at Wilson Road.

Ysabelle Lawrence cruised to a nine-stroke victory in the Nestle Svelte Caribbean Championships on Sunday at St Andrew's Golf Club.
 
Lawrence finished ahead of Karina Matabadal and Serena McKenzie with scores of 76 and 78. 
 
Renee Ayoung won the 2nd flight, while Sarah Ramsingh took the 3rd Flight title.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • C SPORTS
  • C SPECIALS
  • Press Releases
An unhappy ending for the T&T ladies as they crashed out of the CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 World Cup
With nothing but pride to play for, the Trinidad and Tobago youth footballers are battling Costa Rica in their Final
Former National Champions Detour Shak Attack will battle close rivals and perennial powerhouse, the Defence Force, in
A thriller at the UWI as Powergen upset the defending champions, Cane Farm, to lift the UWI T/20 Trophy in St.
In some cycling news, Sprint hotshot Nicholas Paul enhanced his growing reputation with a creditable 5th place in the
Kenyan brothers, Stephen and Simon Njoro, dominated the Trinidad and Tobago International Marathon taking the top
  • 1
  • 2
bottom
Top