Facebook
go here
cnews

Best joins Hampshire

Former West Indies fast-bowler Tino Best has joined Hampshire on a short-term deal.
 
Best, who has played 25 Tests and 26 ODIs for the West Indies, joins the club as a Kolpak player on a short-term contract. 
 
Best, 34, has a wealth of experience in all formats and he averages 28 with the ball in 115 first-class matches.
Chris Gayle remains unlikely to reappear in the Big Bash League next summer despite an apparent climbdown from the Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland when discussing the board's capacity to bar the West Indian opener from returning.
 
Sutherland had been an outspoken voice decrying Gayle's behaviour following his inappropriate on-air exchange with the former Channel Ten broadcaster Mel McLaughlin when playing for the Melbourne Renegades last summer. 
 
The head of the BBL Anthony Everard had also stated that CA reserves the right to veto the overseas recruits of their clubs.
Morvant-Caledonia United heroes Marvin Phillip and Sheldon Holder have responded to their penalty spot victory over W Connection in the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield.
 
Phillip was outstanding in the shootout as Morvant Caledonia won 4-1, while Holder scored a double in a 2-2 draw.
 
"I'm never under any pressure when it comes to penalty kicks," explained Phillip after the game. "I just focus on the ball and keeping it out of my net. I try not to guess."
 
"It was all about passion," said Holder over his double. "…not wanting to lie down after going behind and down to 10 men."

Best pleased with Hampshire move

Tino Best says he could not turn down the chance to follow West Indies greats Malcolm Marshall and Gordon Greenidge in playing for Hampshire.
 
Best, 34, signed a short-term deal with the county on Monday as injury cover for fellow countryman Fidel Edwards.
 
"I'm like a kid in a candy store," he told BBC Radio Solent. "I'm really blessed to have this opportunity and I'm ready to bowl as hard as I can."

ICC reprimands Windies players

West Indies' victorious cricketers have been reprimanded by the ICC for their actions and comments in the wake of their World T20 triumph in Kolkata earlier this month.
 
The team, which secured an emotional four-wicket victory in the final against England, had come close to withdrawing from the tournament before a ball had been bowled, due to a long-running contract dispute with the WICB.
 
The ICC turned on the West Indies players, describing their comments as "inappropriate, disrespectful and [bringing] the event into disrepute". 
 
Serious consideration, it added, had been given to levelling Code of Conduct charges against the players, which could have resulted in fines and/or bans.

Mumbai sign Jerome Taylor

Mumbai Indians have signed West Indies pacer Jerome Taylor as a replacement for the injured Lasith Malinga for the remainder of IPL 2016. 
 
Taylor trained with Mumbai on Wednesday, and will be available for selection for their game against Kolkata Knight Riders on Thursday.
 
A knee injury has kept Malinga out of action since February this year; he last played competitive cricket in the Asia Cup and missed out on the subsequent World T20.

EAST Zone and Central were declared joint champions of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board Under-19 Inter Zone competition which ended on Wednesday at the National Cricket Centre in Balmain, Couva.

The two-day match was called off at approximately 4.30 pm because of incessant rain in the post-lunch period which left the outfield waterlogged with Central Zone on 146 for six wickets in reply to East Zone’s 216 all out in their first innings.

Dejourn Charles top-scored for Central Zone with 61, which comprised eight boundaries and a maximum and was the only batsman to resist the penetrative East Zone bowling, led by Jerome Gibbs and Nathaniel McDavid who took two wickets apiece.

Other reasonable scores came from Central Zone skipper SaibaBatoosingh who made 19 and Bryan Boodram who contributed 15, while JarlarnieSeales struck 14.

On Tuesday, East Zone took the upper hand in the two-day encounter after Central Zone won the toss and inserted their rivals who were dismissed for 216. In reply Central were 43 for two wickets, at the close with two of their most experienced players, captain SaibaBatoosingh and Dejorn Charles, the overnight batsmen. 

Earlier batting prodigy KirstanKallicharan scored a scintillating 78off 135 balls with ten fours to anchor the East Zone innings of 216 all out in 69.5 overs. He got valuable support from another half-centurion, Nathaniel McDavid, who struck a well-played 55 (93 balls with ten boundaries).

Opening batsman Keegan Simmons contributed 26, and Mikeel Mohammed made a composed 20 batting down the order.

Most successful bowler for Central was Matthew Patrick who captured three wickets for 37 runs in 11 overs, while EmiloGopaul, Dejorn Charles and Bryan Boodram finished with two apiece.

With 63 minutes of batting time available, after at least 90 minutes of play was lost through rain in the pre and post-lunch period, Central Zone was rocked back when opener CrystianThurton was bowled for a duck by Jerome Gibbs in the second over of the innings without a run on the board.

However, Charles and Matthew Patrick steadied the ship with a sensible partnership of 34.

But in what turned out to the third ball of the 15thand final over of the day on Tuesday, Patrick had his stumps disturbed by Kallicharanafter a patient innings had brought him nine runs, leaving Charles undefeated on 19 with four boundaries. 

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will have a third international match added to its slate of international fixtures scheduled to start on May 23rd after confirming a Friendly with China’s National Senior Team to be played on June 3rd in the City of Qin Huang Dao.

TTFA President David John-Williams disclosed on Tuesday that the game, which falls inside the international window, has been confirmed and the “Soca Warriors” will travel to China following its match against Uruguay on May 27th. T&T will also face Peru in Lima on May 23rd.

T&T has faced China only once before at the senior international level, losing 3-0 during a four-nation tournament on September 5th2001 at the Shanghai Stadium under then head coach Rene Simoes.

Looking ahead to the encounter, T&T head coach Stephen Hart described the fixture as one which be a “telling” experience for the team.

“China has shown that they want to be an international powerhouse in the game. They have secured some high profile games just like we have and coming on the back of the Uruguay game, this will be a telling experience for us,”Hart told TTFA Media.

“We are grateful for the opportunity and this is one that may open new footballing doors to Asia for us in the future,” he added.

“Our line up of games is quite healthy and we now have a busy schedule beginning later this month as we continue our focus on the two World Cup qualifying games in September against Guatemala and the United States,” Hart said.

China has qualified for the final phase of Asian World Cup qualifying for the first time since 2001 when they went on to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. They defeated Qatar 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier on March 29th and are also preparing for a June 7th Friendly against Andorra. Their next World Cup assignment is against South Korea on September 1st and Iran five days later.

China’s National Development and Reform Commission released a plan a few weeks ago to have one of the world’s leading national teams by 2050. The first stage, already underway, is to introduce soccer in 20,000 schools, with 30 million children playing the game regularly by the end of the decade. The midterm stage, to take place from 2021 to 2030, is for the men’s national team to become one of the standout teams in Asia.

There has been a lot of action and progress in the Chinese Super League. After five years of rising spending, the league as a whole spent around $300 million over the winter to acquire players like Alex Teixeira of Brazil and Jackson Martínez of Colombia. Other names that have joined the Chinese Super League in the past include Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Frederic Kanoute. The League has several players from Brazil and Latin America. Among the managers who have had former jobs there include ex-Argentina coach Sergio Batista and Italian Marcello Lippi.

John de Gannes and Neil Poon Tip narrowly won the Queen's Park Cricket Club Members Golf Tournament on Sunday at Moka.
 
The pair narrowly edged out Richard Trestrail and Chris Galt, with Louis and Jean de Melliac finishing in third place at St Andrews.
 
Meanwhile, national golfer Arjune Samlal won the May Monthly Medal at Couva.
 
Samlal shot a gross score of 71 to win the gross score award and the overall title.
Central FC beat 10-man W Connection to win the 2016 CFU Caribbean Club Championship final, played in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
 
Marcus Joseph put the Sharks ahead before Shandon Winchester received a straight red card for elbowing Keion Goodridge.
 
Central goalkeeper Javon Semple then saved a penalty from Alvin Jones before Jones was sent off for a two-footed tackle.
 
Jason Marcano and Daren Mitchell then scored with Connection down to nine men, as Central ran out 3-0 winners and took the Caribbean Club title for the second year running.
  • C SPORTS
  • C SPECIALS
  • Press Releases
League leaders Guaya United picked up the first major trophy on offer in the TT Super League so far when they turned
A goal on either side of half time from Surinamese international Dimitrie Apai helped Directv W/Connections lift a
The T&T bowlers continued to toil on the second day of their Professional Cricket League clash with Guyana out at
The T&T Under-20 ladies made a winning start to their build up programme towards next January’s crucial World
The pupil pulled one over on the teacher as Nigel Grosvenor’s Queen's Royal College couldn’t deliver the
Tonya Nero will once again throw down the gauntlet to the region's top road runners as she seeks precious metal for
  • 1
  • 2
bottom
Top