Sachin Kumar won his second T&T Open Golf title when he beat Clint Alfred in a dramatic play-off on Sunday at Moka.
Kumar holed a double-bogey putt on the first play-off hole after Alfred missed a wicked downhill putt on the 18th green at St Andrew’s Golf Club.
Alfred dodged a bullet after hitting his tee shot on the play-off hole out of bounds.
However, the 2014 champion Kumar then hit his approach shot out of bounds to hand Alfred a reprieve.
On the green, Alfred was unable to hole a downhill putt, while Kumar sank a five-foot putt from below the hole to claim his second title in three years.
Both men ended tied on 301, with Kumar shooting a final day 74 to Alfred’s 78.
Sol Joanni was third, five shots behind.
Last year’s champion James Johnson did not defend his title this year.
Ysabelle Lawrence strolled to a commanding victory in the women’s championship division.
Thomas Bannon (336) won the First Flight title by one shot over John Henry (337)
Zico Correia grabbed the headlines on the final day, winning the Second Flight with a final day 83.
The 11-year-old is the youngest person ever to win the T&T Open Second Flight title.
Carlos Beckles won the Seniors title by three shots over Reynold Deonath, while
Fabian “Rocker” Lee Foon won the Super Seniors title with a nine shot victory over Tyrone Leong.
Trinidad and Tobago Head Coach Stephen Hart announced his Final 22-man Squad for the upcoming 2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Matches against St Vincent and the Grenadines on March 25th and 29th.
Hart made the disclosure following T&T’s 2-2 draw with Grenada on Saturday night in St George’s.
His selection signals the return of Kevin Molino to the national team following the player’s lengthy lay off due to injury while former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder and England National Under 17 captain John Bostock has also been included as well as Dutch-based starlet Levi Garcia. Bostock’s grandmother is Trinidadian which makes him eligible to play for T&T. Born in Kamberwell, England, the 24-year-old former Crystal Palace player already possesses a Trinidad and Tobago passport.
Missing from the squad due to injury are Cordell Cato, Radanfah Abu Bakr, goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams and Keron Cummings.
The squad, which will be captained by Kenwyne Jones, includes six players who were involved in Saturday’s match in Grenada including goalkeepers Marvin Phillip and Adrian Foncette, Central FC midfielder Sean De Silva and DirecTV W Connection trio Daneil Cyrus, Jomal Williams and Shahdon Winchester,
English-born midfielder John Bostock is anticipating the chance of realizing a childhood dream of playing international football.
And this opportunity could be present to him as early as this coming Friday when Trinidad and Tobago faces St Vincent and the Grenadines in Kingstown in the first of two back to back 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
Bostock, now 24, is a past England National Under 17 captain who at one time was touted as a possible England Senior team player.
But now, Bostock is happy to have made the choice of playing for the birth nation of his grandmother.
“ I’m delighted to be called up for T&T. It’s an honour to be named in the squad and I’m very excited to represent the country of my heritage,” Bostock told TTFA Media on the weekend.”
T&T head coach Stephen Hart has been following Bostock for roughly two years shortly after the T&T team initially made contact with the player to invite him for the Caribbean Cup participation in 2012.
“ For a while I’ve known of the interest of T&T and it was of course an honour to be considered to be in the coaches plans. However it was important for me to first be stable at club level. Now definitely feels like the right time and I’m excited to get things on the way,” said the ex-Crystal Palace player who was born in Camberwell, England.
Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors has depart for Kingstown, St Vincent and the Grenadines at 2:45pm on Wednesday on a Liat Charter flight ahead ofFriday’s 2018 World Cup qualifiers against the hosts at Arnos Vale.
The 22-man squad and technical staff headed by Stephen Hart will arrive in Kingstown during the afternoon period and will take to the training field on Thursday for their official pre-match session at the Arnos Vale.
Hart completed the home-leg of his preparations on Tuesday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium with his full squad including Russian-based defender Sheldon Bateau who was the last of the overseas-based pros to arrive in Port of Spain on Tuesday morning.
During the morning session at Ato Boldon Stadium on Tuesday, Hart welcomed Dutch-based midfielder Levi Garcia, US-based duo Mekeil Williams and Joevin Jones as well as Mexican-based defender Levi Garcia, Willis Plaza of El Salvador club Alianza and Aubrey David of Costa Rica’s Deportivo Saprissa. Along with Bateau, they were the last group to join the camp which started on Sunday evening.
“We’ve had everybody in and that’s always important. Sheldon was the last to come in because of the long travel and the other boys from North and Central America came in as well. We were also happy to have Levi come in an it’s an exciting time for him but he understands how serious the business of the national team is,” Hart told TTFA Media.
“We don’t know what the training conditions will be like in St Vincent so it was important that we had the few days here to be in control of our environment. And once we get there and settle in then we try to manage our situation as best as we can, ensure the players are in right mindset and go into the match looking to take care of business,” Hart said.
Garcia was enthused about his first call up to the team and his first training session under Hart.
“It’s a very exciting period for me and I’m just focused on working hard and settling in with the rest of the team. It’s an honour for me to train and play with Kenwyne and the boys. Coach spoke to me and he said he likes what he has been seeing but of course now I have to work hard and play for my pick. I’d love to play on Friday and play my part in helping us get the three points,” Garcia said.
Friday’s match kicks off at 3:30pm and both teams meet again on Tuesday from 7pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
THE TRINIDAD and Tobago Cricket Board has extended its condolences to the family of former West Indies, and Trinidad and Tobago cricketer Rangy Nanan who passed away early on Wednesday (March 23) at the Couva Hospital.
Nananalso captained the national senior team and at the time of his retirement in 1991 was the leading wicket-taker in regional competition. He was 62 years old.
Azim Bassarath, president of the TTCB said on Wednesday he was saddened to learn of the passing of Nanan whom he described as one of the nation’s outstanding cricketers and certainly among the best spinners to emerge in an era when pace bowling was dominant.
“Rangy was one of a kind who will be remembered for his tight control with the ball on any kind of surface, and who was no rabbit with the bat, clouting the ball to all parts of the field,” said Bassarath.
He hailed the Preysal-born all-rounder as a tribute to the gentleman’s game who carried himself with dignity, exemplifying the ideals of fair-play and respect for his opponents on and off the field.
Bassarath said that Nanan will be best remembered for being the last Trinidad and Tobago captain to lead the national cricket team to victory in the West Indies Cricket Board Regional 4-Day Tournament, then called the Shell Shield.
Nanan played one Test for the West Indies, against Pakistan in Faisalabad, from December 8 to 12, 1980 when he took four wickets with his impeccable control, and snared two important catches as the Caribbean cricketers won by 156 runs.
It is important to note that Nanan was picked on a regional team whose bowling arsenal comprised bowlers of the calibre of Colin Croft, Malcolm Marshall and Sylvester Clarke.
In his 19-year playing career Nanan turned out for 94 First Class matches, scoring 2,607 runs and taking 366 wickets, in addition to 35 List “A” fixtures. He also had one hard-hitting century to his name.
But his best bowling came in the 1980-1982 regional season when he took 32 wickets in just five matches in the Shell Shield and retired as the leading wicket-taker in 1991.
The funeral of the former policeman is yet to be finalised.
Nanan is survived by his devoted wife Martha, and two sons.
Sammy also was asked about the pressure on Chris Gayle: "Yes Chris is our biggest player, but he has no pressure on him to perform like as I said before, obviously we would want him to and lead from the front in this tournament, but in the group, we as a group, we know what we have and as fletcher shown he could win matches and yes we know we have 15 match winners in the dressing room"