In a statement WASA says the Desalcott owned and operated desalination plant provides 40 million gallons daily to WASA, which is used to supply the Point Lisas Industrial Estate, as well as augment the supply to areas in central and south Trinidad.
In order to mitigate the effects of this shortfall in supply the authority has implemented the following:
• Re-distribution of supply from the Caroni and Navet Water Treatment Plants
• Implementation of temporary supply schedules
• Ensure capacity storage at critical service reservoirs
• Increased water trucking capacity
• Special emphasis and arrangements to supply schools, health institutions, homes for aged and other special needs organisations
• Accelerate response to leak repair