Facebook
go here
cnews
Friday, 11 August 2017 19:05

Ramdeen Wants Sinanan Fired And Probe Launched Into Ocean Flower 2

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Opposition Senator, Attorney Gerald Ramdeen, says government has attempted to hoodwink the population as it relates to the acquisition and subsequent cancelling of the Ocean Flower 2 contract.

On Wednesday, it was announced that the contract for the passenger ferry was cancelled due to the contracted company's inability to deliver the vessel on time.

However, Mr. Ramdeen shared an engineer's report with the media which stated that the Ocean Flower 2 was unsuitable from the get-go and he called on the Chairman of the Port and the Minister of Transport to account for this.

The report which followed a visit to Panama by the Port Authority's Chief Engineer and Acting CEO of the T&T Inter-Island Transportation Company highlighted major operational issues during a sea trial of the vessel. The visit is to have taken place between July 30th and August 6th.

The report also said that there were components on the vessel that weren't working and would lead to a rough ride between Trinidad and Tobago, especially during the months of October through January.

The Attorney said what it means is that the vessel was not worth the money government was willing to pay for it and pointed to a tragic lack of due diligence.

He's called for those he holds responsible to resign and also wants the police to get involved with a full criminal investigation. He also wants a forensic investigation into Bridgemans Services Group (Trinidad), the company the Cabo Star and the Ocean Flower 2 were to be leased from.

In the meantime, he thinks all the material related to this matter at the Port Authority should be seized.

In immediate response, the Minister of Works and Transport Rohan Sinanan said if Mr. Ramdeen's claims are true, he himself would call for a criminal investigation.

Minister Sinanan said he's awaiting a report from the Authority on the procurement of the vessel.

But he said for now, he stands by the Port Authority's statements.

Read 4080 times Last modified on Friday, 11 August 2017 19:46
  • C SPORTS
  • C SPECIALS
  • Press Releases
There was action around the country on Saturday in the Secondary Schools Football League. Trinity East had earlier
The T&T Red Force will leave on Monday for their first match against Barbados in the Regional Four Day Tournament -
Detour Shak Attack and Defence Force joined Straker Nets to remain unbeaten after two games in the Barry Stewart's CCC
In the Secondary Schools Football League, Fyzabad Secondary was punished for using two ineligible players whose
The inclement weather has forced the postponement of tonight's Semi-Final Double Header in the First Citizens Cup
Both the TT men and women were in action again over at the 2017 Indoor Pan Am Cup Tournament, taking place at the
  • 1
  • 2
bottom
Top