Facebook
go here
cnews
Tuesday, 07 June 2016 19:19

Minister condemns grenade hoax, assures all schools are safe

Written by C News
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Classes at the Point Fortin RC School will resume on Wednesday.

On Tuesday morning, a cigarette lighter resembling a hand grenade was found 200 metres behind the Point Fortin RC School, leading to school being dismissed for the day.

Investigators said the object was discovered by a sanitation worker employed with the Point Fortin Borough Corporation at around 7:20am.

The Minister of National Security, Retired Major General Edmund Dillon, later stated that the object was a cigarette lighter in the shape of a grenade.

At a Press Conference on Tuesday afternoon, the Minister of Education, Anthony Garcia, told reporters after a thorough investigation, school is ready to resume on Wednesday.

"The situation is under control. The school is ready for occupation tomorrow and there is no reason for anyone to fear."

Using the recent example of social media voice notes threatening of an ISIS attack on some schools, Minister Garcia said such institutions have been an easy target for "pranksters" because of the number of people occupying them.

"Our schools and all those who operate within the school system will be safe. I want to give this guarantee to our parents, our teachers, our students, members of the ancillary staff who populate the school. Our schools will be safe."

While he did not say this incident was the work of a prankster, he made it clear that officials will make every effort to catch and prosecute anyone disrupting schools.

"We have things in place to ensure that the moment anyone tries any action like that they will be dealt with expeditiously."

As for the shape of the lighter, Minister in the Ministry of Education Dr. Lovell Francis said it is up to the Ministry of Trade to look at how it got into the country and seek to prevent it.

He said the Ministry is concerned about recent disruptions at various schools but is assuring that all threats will be investigated, if they are real or not, simply to protect the people.

Read 398 times Last modified on Tuesday, 21 June 2016 09:17
  • C SPORTS
  • C SPECIALS
  • Press Releases
National defender Radanfah Abu Bakr could be playing in next season's UEFA Champions League.
After an encouraging start to the Regional Professional Cricket League Season, the TT Red Force was found wanting in
Shiva Boys’ College got the better of Presentation College by 1-0 to book their place in the South Zone Intercol
Warriors Captain Kenwyne Jones, in a move that has shocked many local football fans, has announced his retirement from
League leaders Guaya United picked up the first major trophy on offer in the TT Super League so far when they turned
A goal on either side of half time from Surinamese international Dimitrie Apai helped Directv W/Connections lift a
  • 1
  • 2
bottom
Top