Facebook
go here
cnews
Friday, 10 June 2016 18:39

Former Permanent Secretary considers lawsuit

Written by C News
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Attorney at Law Martin George is calling on Minister in the Office of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs, Stuart Young, to make public the findings of the report he read last week regarding the Human Capital Development Facilitation Company Limited which was established by former Tobago Development Minister Dr. Delmon Baker.

At last week's Post Cabinet Media Briefing, Minister Young highlighted what he called disturbing findings in the recently-concluded report which suggested that the Company was set up by the Tobago Development Ministry to suppress and undermine the roles and functions of the Tobago House of Assembly and as a result of questionable operations and practices, the Government had taken a decision to wind up the company.

Speaking on behalf of former Permanent Secretary in that Ministry, Dr. Ellis Burris, Mr. George said his client claims he's being wrongfully accused in the matter.

"What we are concerned about is the manner in which the name of our client, Dr. Ellis Burris, has been put in that media statement by the Minister in the Ministry of the Attorney General because it tends to give certain impressions which Dr. Burris is not happy with and which he would like clarified."

According to the Attorney, a defamation lawsuit could be the next step for Dr. Burris.

A copy of the report has been requested to be provided in the next seven days.

"It is not right or proper to simply make reference to a report without letting us have sight of the report or without letting the public see the contents of the report."

In the report, Minister Young said approximately 194 contract positions were created and filled by unqualified persons and selection for positions was done "at the discretion" of either Dr. Baker or the former Permanent Secretary, Dr. Burris.

Read 582 times Last modified on Tuesday, 21 June 2016 09:17
  • C SPORTS
  • C SPECIALS
  • Press Releases
This country's badminton players once again found the going tough on the second day of competition in the Pan American
Kent Fuentes continues his conversation with President of the Trinidad And Tobago Hockey Board, Douglas Camacho, as he
The sport of futsal is about to take off in Trinidad and Tobago, at least that's the hope of the local Futsal
Eight teams are competing in the Pan American Badminton Team Championships out at the National Racquet Centre in
Over the next five days, the region’s best badminton players will be in action in the Pan American Badminton
The playing future of local stars Kieron Pollard, Darren Bravo and Sunil Narine with the West Indies team is still up
  • 1
  • 2
bottom
Top